Sunday, March 28, 2010

StartingBloc - Day 5

I used to do this thing towards the end of my time at Bridgewater - I'd take 15 mins every day and just reflect on how the day went. I'd answer 2 questions. What I said I would do? And what did I actually do? StartingBloc reminded me how important that was. I'm going to bring this back into my routine.

There is lots that I can talk about re SB. But here's a question for all of you out there. If someone came to you and said I'll give you 300K and you can do whatever you want with it. All I ask in return is 3% of your future earnings (for the rest of your life). Would you take it? Now I know all my ex hedgefund friends will be laughing out loud at a question like this. And I'm with them - I'd never take this offer. But what if you were a broke public policy student? And making money wasn't really your goal. What then? I can see the value of it for some people. Well Rafe Furst is investing in superstars. And I think it's a pretty neat idea. Angel investors always talking about investing in people, and not the idea. His argument is that this is done all the time in poker. So why not just translate this into real life. Food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. I am a people person, I think "investing in people, and not the idea" has always been what its all about....

    ReplyDelete